Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Arizona Bike Week - Why?

07 FLH 96 Cubic Inch 6 SpeedArizona Bike week has come and gone... I don't know, maybe it's because I live here, but I just don't see AZBW becoming anything bigger than a circus event for vendors and a few custom builders.

I've been a couple of times, mainly because my brother went and it's always a kick to ride with my brother. It's something I've enjoyed ever since we were little and I watched his little red helmet go bobbing down the canal after his attempt to be the worlds next Evil Knievil. Needless to say he didn't clear his jump and yes his head was still in the helmet... so that you don't think that I'm all that cruel I did, after I stopped laughing, jump in and pull his ass out so he didn't drown! I've also made the ride out to Westworld as part of a charity run with Chesters HD in Mesa, but I've never viewed it as a must go/must see desitination. The valley has some incredible day rides. The ride to Tortilla Flats is one of my all time favorites. The ride to Queen Valley is a little known gem. The ride to Globe/Miami ... I could name more but it's really not the point. April in Arizona is usually FANTASTIC weather to ride in. The rest of the country is just coming out of the freeze and we're hitting the 70's. I just think that the valley is too wide spread to hold the "event" in any of the metro cities... Phoenix, Scottsdale, Chandler doesn't matter - put the event out at the Ranch in Wickenburg or some other smaller city that's 50 miles or so from the 4 million people that rush the streets of the Phoenix Metro area every day.

You know, maybe that's it... after riding in this valley for a lifetime I just don't like dealing with all the cars and the idiots that drive them, so, for me it just isn't worth it to trek 40 miles across town, in traffic, to go and see another pair of chaps or a custom paint job.

"Ride Safe"

Whiteline



, ,


Stumble Upon Toolbar

1 comments:

Pat | Point of the Mountain said...

Motorcycle riders have grown in number so events like these can be expected to open the chance for people with the same interests to come together.



Cool little shop for stuff for the home The Crowded House check 'em out for some fun finds!