Thursday, December 4, 2008

BUB Exhaust: Product Review

A couple of years ago a company by the name of Rinehart Racing/Bub Exhaust began showing up en mass on the motorcycle scene. Although the company has been making race tuned pipes for Motorcycles since 1976 it wasn't really until recently when the general public began to take notice - it might have something to do with the pipes and mufflers becoming more affordable for the average "Joe the Biker".

There are two things I want in most motorcycles. First it needs to have that certain something... that something that makes it a part of me. It needs to have a mean, grumbling, bitchy old man thing. Second it has to have balls when I tell it to do a Ricky Bobby and "Go Fast".

I absolutely love when someone takes the technologies learned from the racing industry and transfers it to the motorcycle world. Not only did they transfer the technology - but the people at Rinehart Racing/Bub Exhaust, in my opinion, have transformed the world of motorcycle exhaust.

Around two years ago I purchased a set of the Bub Eagle Beak mufflers. The price was around $600.00 including shipping and handling. I ordered directly from Bub Exhaust. I'm certain I could have ordered directly through my local Harley Davidson dealer (but they'd already gotten enough of my money) or through one of the Custom Chrome shops but hey if you can go right to the horses mouth - why not?

I received the pipes within a few days and immediately had my Harley up in the air pulling the "Screaming Eagle" performance exhaust off and putting the Rineharts on. It took no time at all - a few bolts and it was done.

* It is recommeded that you re-chip or re-jet your bike (depending on if it's FI or Carb'd) I already had mine chipped when I put on the "Screaming Eagle"
performance intake and exhaust.

I started the bike up and immediately had a completely different "note" to the exhaust. A Much deeper, richer tone. So it was time for a quick trip to around the neighborhood. The performance and horsepower increase was noticable immediately.

When rating a product I look at 5 different areas:

Craftsmanship - always important if it isn't made worth a damn it will perform the same way.

Ease of Use/Installation - the "Do I have to bloody my knuckles" syndrome - usually because some engineer that's never worked on a bike made the part impossible to put the part on without injury.

Warranty - for me it's part and parcel with craftsmanship - hell you built it now stand behind it.

Order to Receipt Time - I hate to wait. If I've bought it I want it now.

Overall Performance - okay it may have bloodied my knuckles a bit, it may have taken a bit longer to get than I wanted but does it make me happy?!

I give the Bub Exhaust System five full leather jackets for excellence in craftsmanship, ease of installation, warranty, order to receipt time and overall performance.



, , , , , , , , , , ,


Stumble Upon Toolbar

3 comments:

Vance and Hines Motorcycle Exhaust said...

You can try also Vance and Hines Exhaust in your mods...

Unknown said...

What a great post, I actually found it very thought provoking, thanks Custom Exhausts



Custom Exhausts

CGS cat back exhaust said...

That went pretty well. You did the right choice.



Cool little shop for stuff for the home The Crowded House check 'em out for some fun finds!