Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Motorcycles and Music

When I was young (that sounds terrible!) I used to run the highways wishing I had music. I would play song after song in my head and on occasion I would even dare to try and sing louder than my pipes. Of course this usually lead to the ingestion of some flying protein and the mad brushing of teeth after the ride was over, but the point is that music always was and remains a big part of my life and I missed it when I was riding my motorcycle.

My friends and I agreed that there had to be a way to get "tunes" on our bikes. Back in the day we didn't have portable anything. The Walkman was years away and the iPod, oh hell, not even imagined yet. So in the honor of teen ingenuity we would bungee, duct tape, strap any way that we could our "boom-boxes" to our motorcycles, fill our saddle bags with the 14,000 "D" cell batteries that it took to power those things for the trip and wa-la! Music on the road.

We would head out for a trip to Colorado to visit a friend, a weekend in Mexico, a quick run to the beaches of San Diego and we'd have music to listen to along the way. Of course changing the 8-track while riding was near impossible so you'd better like what you were listening to for at least until the next stop.

I started thinking about this the other day when I was out taking a sunrise ride through the desert back roads, kicking back and enjoying the sounds of the built-in stereo on my '07 FLH. Today it was the sound of 3rd Eye Blind, Nickleback and the latest from Kid Rock, "All Summer Long". It is the Anthem of my life past.

Back then however, it would have been Steppenwolf, The Allman Brothers and Janis Joplin... Oh well, Welcome to the future :) Now, here's some Kid Rock and "All Summer Long", enjoy.





, , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,


Stumble Upon Toolbar

0 comments:



Cool little shop for stuff for the home The Crowded House check 'em out for some fun finds!